J.D. Fugate has been a trusted legal adviser to tech and e-commerce clients for 25 years, including 16 years in-house with Microsoft, most recently as an Assistant General Counsel for Regulatory Affairs, providing specialized privacy guidance. In addition to negotiating and writing agreements covering a broad spectrum of business needs for different businesses units including Windows marketing, source code sharing, hardware quality and strategic silicon partners, he provided specialized regulatory guidance to the Microsoft Health Solutions Group for HIPAA and FDA compliance.
J.D. served as law clerk for Chief Judge Gilbert S. Merritt III on the Sixth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, then began his Seattle legal career at Preston Gates and Ellis (now K&L Gates).
After 16 years at Microsoft, he continued his technology transaction practice at Gonzalez Saggio & Harlan, and Peregrine Law Group.
Memberships & Leadership
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Mediator for King County District Court Small Claims Division
- Legal Counsel and Treasurer, All Pilgrims Christian Church, Seattle
- Upper Bass, Seattle Men’s Chorus
- Yale Law School JD, 1992
- Wake Forest University BA-Economics, 1989